If the Future of This World Can't Be Depended On, I'll Make My Own:
Fantasy Spaces in the 21st Century
This is a topical research directory. It is a compilation of information along a meandering and non-linear train of thought, of topics relating to fantasy and escapism, and the use of these towards the blurring of reality into a shape beyond what currently is. People, their desires, and their movements and projects are intersectional and complex, so any categorization of groups here is rough and incomplete, but meant to facilitate exploration along larger themes. As I can claim no amount of expertise on any of these subjects, I have not written any of the information here (with the exception of the Valving page; that term is one of my creation in this context anyway) – in the spirit of collective documentation and presentation, it is a mere collection of information articles pulled from the peer edited online resource Wikipedia where available and appropriate (I can't vouch for the writers/sources/tones of articles either but it's a place to start / meet the man behind 1/3 of wikipedia), information gathered from official websites and spokespeople where not, as well as supplemental material and example suggestions to start following topics further. The sources can be found by following the links. It is not a prescription for directions, but a mere collection of a myriad of options. It is incomplete, spontaneously linked, and hopefully encourages the exploration of this playful lens when considering how we can shape our reality, or create new ones.
(full definition) noun, plural fan·ta·sies.
1. imagination, especially when extravagant and unrestrained.
2. the forming of mental images, especially wondrous or strange fancies; imaginative conceptualizing.
3. a mental image, especially when unreal or fantastic; vision: a nightmare fantasy.
4. Psychology . an imagined or conjured up sequence fulfilling a psychological need; daydream.
5. a hallucination.
6. a supposition based on no solid foundation; visionary idea; illusion: dreams of Utopias and similar fantasies.
7. caprice; whim.
8. an ingenious or fanciful thought, design, or invention.
(full definition) noun
the avoidance of reality by absorption of the mind in entertainment or in an imaginative situation, activity, etc.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Science fiction
- Radical Resistance Ideas & Symbols
- Indigenous Land Sovereignty and Re-Occupation Movements
- Other Occupation Movements, Micronations, Land-Use Projects, Farming
- Black Liberation Movements
- "Pioneer" Identity in US History
- Self-Organized Collectives
- DIY Houses, Spaces, Movements, Cultures
- Space Colonization
- Virtual Worlds
- Comics & Cartoons
- Counterfeiting, Scams, Social Manipulation
- Social Media
- Sexual Fantasy
- Meditation & Inner Peace Seeking
- Drugs and Mind-Altering States
- Transformation Festivals